Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) visa

This visa offers skilled workers, who are nominated by their employer, all the benefits of Australian permanent residence.

What is ENS (Employer Nomination Scheme) 186 Visa?

The subclass 186 ENS (Employer Nomination Scheme) visa is a permanent residency visa. To be granted a 186 ENS visa, you must be sponsored by a nominating employer. This visa involves a two-step process:

  • a nomination by an approved Australian employer
  • a completed visa application by the skilled applicant.

If you are an Australian or overseas business planning to establish a branch in Australia and looking to hire a foreign workforce, we can help you with the sponsorship/nomination and the employee’s visa process.

What can I do with this visa?

  • Live, work and study in Australia indefinitely.
  • Sponsor eligible family members who wish to move to Australia.
  • Apply for Australian citizenship.

Am I eligible?

To qualify for an ENS visa, you must meet the following criteria:

  • You have an occupation that is on the 186 Visa Occupations List.
  • You have completed a positive skills assessment.
  • You have scored 6 in each component of the IELTS (or equivalent test). The English requirement may be waived for applicants whose nominated earnings would be over $180,000.
  • A maximum age requirement of 45 at the time of application will apply to the Direct Entry stream. In some cases, you can be exempt from the age criterion.
  • You must be under 45 years of age when you apply, however, you are exempt from this criterion if any of the following applies to you:
    1. You are nominated as an academic (university lecturer or faculty head at academic level B, C, D or E) by a university in Australia.
    2. You are nominated as a scientist, researcher or technical specialist at ANZSCO skill level 1 or 2 by an Australian scientific government agency.
    3. You are a medical practitioner who has worked in your nominated occupation for at least 3 years as a 457 or 482 visa holder, and for 2 of those 3 years, you were employed in regional Australia. The position must be in regional Australia.
  • As a subclass 457 or 482 visa holder, you must have been working in the nominated occupation for the nominating employer for at least the last 3 years, and your earnings were at least as much as the Fair Work high-income threshold for each year of that period. If during those 3 years you were stood down or required to work reduced hours due to COVID-19, your earnings and the high-income threshold are assessed at a pro-rata rate for the affected years. This concession applies for applications lodged on or after 24 November 2020 and in relation to periods of COVID-19 related temporary employment changes since 1 February 2020

Transitional arrangements

If you held (or had applied for and were later granted) a subclass 457 visa on 18 April 2017, you can still apply for this visa if you are under 50 when you apply.

At Migration Door Australia, we can help you achieve your visa needs and answer any questions you may have. If you are looking to apply for the 186 ENS visa, contact us at info@migrationdoor.com.au or visit www.migationdoor.com.au.

See also  Temporary Activity Visas

We're Here To Help!


Level 38, 71 Eagle St, Brisbane City QLD 4000


Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 5:30 pm