Temporary Activity Visas

Please contact us if you would like to know about the eligibility and conditions of any of these visas or streams.

There are several different types of temporary activity visas, each with its own set of eligibility criteria.

Type 1: The Training Subclass 407

This visa allows you to stay in Australia for up to 2 years and undergo occupational training or professional development during that time. It also allows you to undertake occupational training in Australia to meet occupational registration or licensing requirements, enhance your occupational skills and for capacity building overseas.

You must either be nominated by an employer or be invited by a Commonwealth Government agency.

With this visa, you can work in Australia for up to 2 years or up to 4 years if an International Trade Obligation (ITO) applies. Hong Kong passport holders may stay up to 5 years.

Am I eligible?

There are two eligibility pathways for the visa Subclass 407. Regardless, all applicants must meet the following criteria:

 Type 2: Temporary Activity Visa Subclass 408

This visa allows you to come to Australia temporarily to:

  • Work in the entertainment industry.
  • Participate in activities at the invitation of an Australian organisation.
  • Participate in or observe an Australian research project.
  • Work in a skilled position under a staff exchange arrangement.
  • Participate in high-level sports competitions or sports training programs.
  • Participate in a special program approved by the department that provides opportunities for youth exchange, cultural enrichment or community benefits.
  • Participate in full-time religious work.
  • Be employed as a superyacht crew member.
  • Participate in full-time domestic work in the household of certain senior foreign executives.
  • Participate in a government-endorsed event.

Type 3: COVID-19 Pandemic Event Visa

To qualify for this visa, you must:

  • Have the required skills to undertake the specific activity carried out in Australia.
  • Meet additional requirements of the relevant stream. There are 10 streams including Australian Government Endorsed Events, Special Program, Religious Work, Research Activities, Social and Cultural activity, Sporting Activities, Entertainment Activities, Superyacht Crew, Exchange Arrangements and Domestic Work for Executives.

Australian Government Endorsed Events – COVID19 Pandemic

The spread of coronavirus has made many migrants in Australia with temporary visas become stuck in Australia. As a result of this, the Australian government has launched a new, free visa to help ease the situation.

What can I do with this visa?

If you are working in a critical sector (agriculture, food processing, health care, aged care, disability care, child care, or tourism and hospitality), you are eligible to remain in Australia for up to 12 months. In any other case, you can remain for up to 3 months.

You can remain in Australia if you possess no other visa options and are unable to depart Australia due to COVID-19 travel restrictions.

If you are visiting Australia and cannot support yourself, you should make arrangements to return home.

Am I eligible?

To apply for this visa you must:

  • Be residing in Australia currently.
  • Have a substantive visa that expires in 90 days or possess a substantive visa that expired less than 28 days ago. Bridging visas are not substantive visas.

For a 3-month visa, you must tell the department why you are unable to leave Australia due to COVID-19 travel restrictions or have evidence of a job offer.

Type 4: Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) Visa Subclass 400

This visa is for people who want to travel to Australia to participate in short-term, highly specialised, non-ongoing work or participate in activity or work relating to Australia’s interests. In most cases, this visa allows you to remain in Australia and work for up to three months. However, in some cases when you are supported by a strong business, the stay period can be up to 6 months.

Am I eligible?

To qualify for this visa, you must be invited or supported by the organisation you will be working for. You will also be considered if you have specialist skills, knowledge or experience that is needed but cannot be found in Australia.

Type 5: Temporary Work (International Relations) Visa Subclass 403

This visa allows you to visit Australia temporarily and work in specific employment that improves Australia’s international relations.

Visa Subclass 403 has 5 different streams:

  • Government Agreement Stream – concerning a bilateral agreement.
  • Foreign Government Agency Stream – to represent a foreign government or to teach a foreign language in an Australian school.
  • Domestic Worker Stream – to do domestic work for a diplomat.
  • Privileges and Immunities Stream – a person with statutory privileges and immunities.
  • Seasonal Worker Program Stream – to participate in the program of seasonal work.


As there are several different types of temporary activity visas, it can be puzzling to know which visa type suits you best. We recommend booking a consultation session with Migration Door Australia and speaking with one of our migration agents who will help you choose the best option for you. Contact us at info@migrationdoor.com.au.

See also  Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186) visa




Level 38, 71 Eagle St, Brisbane City QLD 4000


Monday – Friday 8:30 am – 5:30 pm