Table of Contents
What is Temporary Parent Visa (Subclass 870)?
This visa was introduced on 17 April 2019 and will allow parents to live temporarily in Australia for three or five years without needing to depart. Unlike other parent visas, this visa does not require the applicant to meet the balance of family test.
What can I do with this visa?
By obtaining this visa, you will be able to:
- Visit Australia for up to 3 or 5 years per visa.
- Apply for further visas that will allow you to remain in Australia for up to 10 years.
With this visa, you are not eligible to work in Australia.
At the moment, the visa fee is AUD5,090 for a 3-year visa and AUD10,180 for a five-year visa.
Am I eligible?
To be eligible for this visa, you must be sponsored by your child or your child’s partner. Sponsors must:
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Be an Australian citizen, an Australian permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen resident in Australia for at least 4 years.
- Pass the income test, meaning your income for the most recent taxable income year, must be equal to or more than AUD83,454.80.
If you cannot pass the income test by yourself, you can combine your taxable income with your partner and/or another child who is an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. If combining income, your taxable income must be at least 50 percent of the taxable income amount specified to pass the income test.
If you are sponsoring your partner’s parents, your partner must also be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen.
The visa applicant must:
- Be the biological, legal (including adoptive) parent, step-parent or parent-in-law of the parent sponsor.
- Have a sponsor.
- Have met any previous visa obligations (if applicable).
- Meet the health and character requirements.
- Be able to support themselves financially.
- Arrange adequate health insurance.
- Provide housing and financial support if required.
- Pay parent’s public health debts if required.
- If charged with a crime, advise the Department.
If the sponsor does not comply with the obligations, they may be refused to be a sponsor in the future or have their sponsorship approval canceled. Once the sponsorship is approved, the parent will have 6 months to lodge the visa application.
Note that, unlike many other visas, this visa starts on the day of the grant. So, the visa applicant may want to move to Australia as soon as the visa is granted to make the most of their visa subclass 870.
We understand that all the requirements and obligations can get overwhelming. At Migration Door Australia, we help make the process easy and stress-free. Please book our consultation session and we can help you choose the best visa option for you.